If your household income in 2016 was $54,000 or less, you could qualify to have your taxes prepared and submitted FREE through the IRS’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. by appointment only
- Saturdays from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., walk-ins only (site will be closed March 4 and April 8)
Please visit www.clvita.org or call 704-761-8482 to schedule an appointment.
Please bring the following items with you:
- If married and filing a joint return, both individuals must be present
- Proof of identification (photo ID) for both taxpayer and spouse (if married and filing a joint return)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
If you don’t live in the Charlotte area, click here to find a free tax preparation site near you.