- If you’re interested in this program and you live within our service area, fill out our application form then follow the prompts to schedule a virtual appointment.
- If you’re unable to reserve a virtual appointment or would rather meet with one of our team members in person to begin your application process, we also accept walk-ins at all of our career centers.
Computer Essentials Training
Are you interested in learning the most important and commonly used aspects of operating a computer? Goodwill’s free Computer Essentials training course is a three-day workshop that covers an introduction to computers, how to navigate a computer and its programs, and how to effectively use the internet.
Upcoming Training Dates
|Application Period||Training Dates||Class Time||Delivery|
|March 30 – April 12||April 26 – 28||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|April 13 – 28||May 10 – 12||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|May 1 – 17||May 31 – June 2||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|May 18 – 31||June 14 – 16||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|June 1 – 14||June 28 – 30||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|June 15 – 28||July 12 – 14||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|June 29 – July 12||July 26 – 28||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|July 13 – 26||August 9 – 11||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|July 27 – August 16||August 23 – 25||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|August 17 – 30||September 13 – 15||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|August 31 – September 13||September 27 – 29||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|September 14 – 27||October 11 – 13||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|September 28 – October 11||October 25 – 27||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|October 12 – November 8||November 15 – 17||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
|November 9 – 22||December 13 – 15||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.||In person|
Goodwill’s Computer Essentials training course lasts three days. Class meets in-person from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the Goodwill Opportunity Campus on the dates listed above. Additionally, there is optional lab time available from 1 – 3 p.m. on the first day of class.
- Module 1: Intro to Computers
- Are you new to using computers? Do you wonder what people mean when they say the Cloud, Windows or apps? Perhaps you just want to know more about how computers work. This first module covers the parts and proper use of a computer. During the instructor-led portion, participants will learn basic computer tasks, like navigating the computer, working with the desktop, utilizing the taskbar and more. After that portion, participants will have the opportunity to utilize Goodwill University’s computer lab to access a variety of tutorial games that will provide hands-on training in keyboarding and mouse manipulation.
- Module 2: Navigating a Computer
- Have you ever wondered what makes a computer operate or asked the questions “How does a computer know what to do, and when to do it?” or “What application do I need to use to create a resume or my household budget?” Then, this is the perfect module for you. We’ll teach you the functions of the operating system, how to access different applications, where to store files and pictures, and much more.
- Module 3: Internet Basics
- Would you like to be more efficient in using the internet, or even just getting to the internet? Maybe you want to learn more about internet safety, searching for information, or the difference between a webpage and a website. This workshop will teach you about web browsers, the different parts of an internet window, how to navigate a webpage, how to search for information and evaluate results, internet safety, and much more.
If you successfully complete all three modules in Goodwill’s Computer Essentials course, you’ll receive a Computer Essentials Certificate of Completion from Goodwill University.
There are no prerequisites required to take the Computer Essentials training course. Registration is required due to limited seating.
Job Search Support
As a participant in one of Goodwill’s training courses, you’ll have access to a Career Navigator who can help you with your resume and interview skills. You’ll also have the opportunity to work with our Employer Engagement Team, who can help you find and secure employment.
How to Apply
Still Have Questions?
If you still have questions about our training courses, complete our training inquiry form, and someone on our team will be in touch with you soon!