It’s Black Philanthropy Month (BPM), and this month we sat down with Renee Ford, Divisional Sr. Human Resources Manager for Walmart. She also serves as the Vice Chair of the Board of Directors for Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont. Renee’s incredible energy and passion for developing people make her a valuable partner in Goodwill’s work in the community.
BPM, held every August, is an annual global celebration of African-descent giving. In our interview with Renee, she shares the importance of giving back year-round and her mixed emotions around BPM.
- Goodwill: Why is it important for you to be philanthropic?
- Renee: I truly believe that it is far better to give than it is to receive. To have the fortunate opportunity to be philanthropic is my way of expressing gratitude and I definitely believe we all need a bit that!
- Goodwill: What does BPM mean to you?
- Renee: I have mixed emotions about this month because one to be marked “black” indicates that it’s somehow unique or a one off. This I believe is unfortunate because philanthropy belongs to everyone. Yet understanding the historical financial inequity of my people, I’m super proud that we have persevered and now have the financial means to support those that may need a hand up.
- Goodwill: What’s one thing you want others to know about Goodwill and why you support it?
- Renee: Goodwill’s impact extends much further than the store fronts. Goodwill is truly a game changer as it provides top notch skills training and development to its clients. It’s through these services that an entire family’s future trajectory can change. And simply stated, I can certainly proudly back that mission.
- Goodwill: Thank you, Renee! Your service to – and investment in – our community helps people to propel their dreams and aspirations!
Donor support of Goodwill is essential to the ongoing success and continuity of Goodwill programs and services. Investing in Goodwill helps provide the most relevant opportunities for people in our community to reskill, upskill, launch a career and create pathways to prosperity. Join Renee and many others who invest in people to help them achieve their goals. Click here to learn more or make your gift today.