Adult Basic Education Course
Goodwill is partnering with Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC) and Cleveland Community College (CCC) to offer an Adult Basic Education course in both Charlotte at the Goodwill Opportunity Campus and Shelby in the community room located inside our Shelby retail store.
In this course, participants will prepare for the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) exam, which is the new alternative to the GED exam. Passing the HiSET exam demonstrates that you have attained the academic knowledge and proficiency equivalent to those of a high school graduate. The HiSET diploma/certificate is accepted by employers and accredited colleges in all 50 states. Like all of Goodwill’s courses, the Adult Basic Education course is offered free of charge.
Upcoming Training Dates
|2023 Training Dates
|March 14 – May 9
||T, W, Th
||10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
||Full (No Seats Available)
|2023 Training Dates
|April 11 – June 1
||6 – 9 p.m.
- Goodwill’s Charlotte Adult Basic Education course meets in person at the Goodwill Opportunity Campus on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Goodwill’s Shelby Adult Basic Education course meets in person at the community room located inside our Shelby retail store on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 – 9 p.m.
- The completion timeframe will vary depending on a participant’s educational background, knowledge and motivation. Participants can re-enroll in each 8-week session until they obtain their certificate.
Goodwill’s Adult Basic Education course meets in person. An instructor from CPCC or CCC will provide in-person instruction and support to participants throughout the program.
After successfully passing the HiSET exam, participants will receive a diploma/certificate that is accepted by employers and accredited colleges in all 50 states.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Participants will have access to computers and the required software throughout the duration of this course.
Continue Your Education
Having a high school level of education is the stepping stone you need to continue your education or grow your career. The HiSET is accepted by employers and accredited colleges in all 50 states. With your HiSET diploma/certificate, you can also take advantage of other post-secondary learning opportunities, like Goodwill’s Customer Service course.
Grow Your Career
The job market has changed, and in today’s world, most family-sustaining jobs require at least a high school level of education. Passing the HiSET exam will earn you the recognition that you have achieved a high school level of education. A study by the National Center for Education Statistics revealed a difference of more than $6,800 per year in average earnings between non-graduates and persons who held either a high school diploma or its equivalent.
HOW TO APPLY
- If you’re interested in this program and you live within our service area, fill out our application form then follow the prompts to schedule a virtual appointment.
- If you’re unable to reserve a virtual appointment or would rather meet with one of our team members in person to begin your application process, we also accept walk-ins at all of our career centers.
- Interested participants can call 704-916-1610 to get started.
Still Have Questions?
If you still have questions about our training courses, complete our training inquiry form, and someone on our team will be in touch with you soon!