Update 10/28/22 – the proposal process is now closed.
Seeking a Food Service Partner:
If you haven’t yet experienced the Goodwill Opportunity Campus along Wilkinson Boulevard, you will be surprised to find a visionary building bringing community together through partnership and service to advance equitable access to opportunity for all. Our campus is home to the career training, employment services and secondhand shopping Goodwill is known for. But it’s also a place where community groups intersect – where connections are facilitated between employers, industry leaders, nonprofits, shoppers, donors, team members, community groups and more. However, we recognize one of the greatest connectors of people is a shared table – and that’s where you come in.
Previously, Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont offered fresh and affordable food options on campus through an on-site bistro. Now, we hope to reinvigorate the existing restaurant space by inviting an independent operator to introduce a food service environment that encourages gathering and collaboration while offering healthy and affordable food options for Goodwill team members, participants, campus partners, shoppers, members of the community and nearby businesses. We are seeking an operator with demonstrated success in the industry and a commitment to serving community.
The Goodwill Opportunity Campus provides unique opportunities to leverage an on-site garden, and support meeting and event catering to our many guests. We invite you to learn more about the exciting opportunity to bring new food options to our space, and the Wilkinson Boulevard corridor.
About Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont:
Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont (GISP) was established in 1965 and is part of a network of 155 autonomous, nonprofit Goodwill organizations in 12 countries that make up Goodwill Industries International. GISP’s purpose is helping people see possibilities, seize opportunities and prosper. We envision a community where equitable access to career opportunities is available for all. Goodwill builds pathways that help people pursue the life they want to achieve. We stand firm in what we believe in and are direct and clear when it comes to our values and commitment to creating more equitable career opportunities for all.
GISP serves 13 counties in North Carolina and 5 counties in South Carolina. The organization currently has services and facilities in Cabarrus, Cleveland, Gaston, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Richmond and Union counties in North Carolina and Lancaster and York counties in South Carolina.
GISP incorporates continuous improvement strategies, and therefore seeks similar visions from our partners. The awarded applicant should be committed to providing a like-minded vision, in a very dynamic and ever changing environment. The operator must understand our mission, and the fact that GISP is a nonprofit organization.
- Proven track record of running a successful food service business (at least 3-5 years).
- Must have a customer facing presence and be open for in-house seating with dine-in and carry-out options.
- Reputable brand in the community. Local and national brands (franchise operators) will be considered.
- Favorable health and safety record.
- Affordable pricing for community and the Goodwill Opportunity Campus demographic. Examples to review but are not limited to:
- Discounts for team members and customers with receipt (that day)
- Participants – rewards cards
- Ability to manage in-house GOC catering orders to include procurement of someone with an ABC license to serve alcohol at events.
- Commitment to healthy food options.
- Interest in utilizing on-site community garden for fresh produce (planting and harvesting) to support our commitment to sustainability and belief in the importance of healthy food options.
- Community minded.
- Creative/innovative operator that prides itself on creating great experiences for their guests.
- Open to partnership with GISP (round up program, catering, major gift donor events).
- Diverse operators are of great interest to support our commitment to creating access to opportunities and embracing our culture to support diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. Minority and women-owned businesses are encouraged to apply.
- Speed of execution will be greatly considered.
Sample Documentation Requested:
- Business plan.
- Pictures of past and current restaurant spaces operated by applicant.
- Sample menu(s) and pricing.
- Operator’s qualifications.
- Current staffing model.
- Health & Safety reports.
- Last 3 – 5 years of financials, if available.
- Insurance coverage with required limits.
- System to address food allergies.
Terms/Scope of Partnership:
- Lease agreement with minimum of 3 years term.
- Tenant improvements will be the sole responsibility of the tenant.
- Operator agrees to operate/staff full-service restaurant space (dine in, carry out).
- Operator has the option to provide catering services for conference and meeting rooms at the Goodwill Opportunity Campus.
- Restaurant signage will be placed on exterior monument signage, way finding signage and on window clings.
- 3 dedicated parking spaces will be provided for carry-out order customers.
- Restaurant will be featured on the GISP website, print publications and social media outlets.
- GISP and operator will collaborate to promote opening of restaurant.
Hours of Operation:
- Restaurant will operate during the Goodwill Opportunity Campus‘ normal business hours and during weekend hours to be defined later.
Restaurant Specs – GISP to Provide:
- Square footage (kitchen and dining)
- List/description of kitchen equipment and dining room furniture
- Pictures of current space
Critical Due Dates:
- Your response is kindly requested no later than noon Wednesday, October 12, 2022.
- GISP will be making a decision by Wednesday, November 16, and will be in contact with all applicants in regards to proposals.
Send Proposal Responses to:
Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont
VP, Business Development and Facilities
5301 Wilkinson Boulevard
Charlotte, NC 28208
By submitting your response to this RFP, it is assumed that the operator agrees to the following terms and conditions:
- All proposals submitted become the property of GISP and will not be returned.
- This solicitation is a request for proposals and does not in any way obligate GISP to award any applicant.
- GISP reserves the right to disregard or reject any proposal for any reason.
- GISP is not liable for any operator costs incurred in completing the RFP.
- The winning operator will be expected to provide an implementation plan and team who will work with appropriate individuals identified by GISP to set an implementation plan and training.