For Immediate Release
Goodwill ® Partners with the Queen City Style for Spring Cleaning and Fashion Tips
CHARLOTTE, N . C . ( April 2 , 2015) – Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont has partnered with Charlotte – based professional stylist Whitley Adkins Hamlin to offer tips and techniques for cleaning out your closet this spring. The wardrobe stylist and author of TheQueenCityStyle.com blog also gives advice for fashion trends this spring.
The Queen City Style Wardrobe Refresh Advice :
1. Schedule a ti me to clean out your closet: Commit to doing it all at once. Mentally transition from fall/winter to spring/summer.
2. Divide your closet into subcategories: Shirts, sweaters, pants, belts, shoes, etc. so that you can closely compare and see if you have multiples of each item. Dis card unnecessary multiples to Goodwill.
3. Be honest with yourself: H ow long has it been since you’ve worn that item? Subscribe to the one, two or five year rule and part ways with a piece if it’s been that long since its last wear. However, there are exceptions if you invest in or inherit high quality items that will physically and fashionably stand the test of time.
4. Thank your cast – offs: Say “Thank you for giving me joy when I bought you.” Instead of holding on to a piece you no longer wear for emotional reasons, donate the item to Goodwill and appreciate the joy you will create for another.
5. Lovingly put away out – of – season clothes: F old everything neatly, place on a shelf or in plastic boxes and store your shoes in shoe boxes . Keeping your possessions organized takes a little more time on the front end, but your pocketbook will thank you for providing the care to allow your wardrobe to stand the test of time.
6. Track down the suede: A s is the bohemian style of the 1970s, suede is a very big trend for this spring – it’ s lightweight, yet chic.
7. Reach for the silk scarves and bandanas: S ilk scarves are a timeless , classic accessory that will never go out of style. They may not always be “on trend,” but they will always be in fashion. Goodwill always seems to have a great selection of scarves from different decades. Style tip: you can tie them around your head, pony tail, neck, waist, wrist or attach to a bag as a colorful accessory.
8. Put away the boots: R each for the hot shoe for spring : a mule with a stacked heel.
9. Wear a denim jacket as an easy layering piece: Put the heavy coats in the hall closet – a denim jacket is a classic you can wear all four seasons of the year. It’ s lightweight, compact and can dress up or down an y outfit.
10. Top it off with a fedora: Put away the beanie caps and break out your most polished topper – another easy find at Goodwill.
Goodwill makes spring cleaning easy. The nonprofit can help clean out more than just your closets and dresser drawers. From the office to the garage , Goodwill makes it simple and convenient to drop off your donations:
- Goodwill has 22 retail stores and more than 50 donation sites throughout the Southern Piedmont that accept donations.
- Goodwill accepts clothing, books, housewares, electronics, small appliances, sports equipment and furniture .
- You can schedule a free home pick – up in the Charlotte – metro area. Items eligible for home pick – ups include at least two large, gently used furniture pieces , clothing, shoes, electronics and other household items.
- If your community or organization is holding a spring yard or garage sale , you can call Goodwill to pick up remaining items from the sale. For more information about home pick – ups and service area, visit www.goodwillsp.org/donate . “
Goodwill relies on the generosity of its donors to fund programs that give people in our region the opportunity to develop to their fullest potential through family sustaining employment,” said Melinda Wilshire, Director of Marketing & Communications for Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont. “ Spring cleaning donations are a benefit not only to those overhauling their homes, but in turn for the thousands of individuals that benefit from Goodwill ’s job training and employment services each year. ”
Help turn a pair of jeans into a j ob for someone in the community this spring.
About Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont
Goodwill has been serving individuals and families in the Southern Piedmont region of North and South Carolina for 50 years. Goodwill operates 22 retail stores and has more than 50 donation sites in the region. Proceeds from the sale of donated goods fund job training and employment services for i ndividuals facing barriers to employment such as lack of skills, experience or education. In 2014, Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont provided employment services to more than 13,000 individuals. For more information, visit www.goodwillsp.org.
About Wardrobe Stylist Whitley Adkins Hamlin
Whitley Adkins Hamlin is a Charlotte – based professional wardrobe stylist, personal shopper and author of t he Queen City Style blog . She has styled editorial photo shoots for local and regional magazines , spent several years working in New York City assisting top models and stylists, and later served as the executive assistant to the director of investor relations at Ralph Lauren Corporation. She contributes as a writer and stylist to various regional magazines, and makes regular television and radio appearances .
Molly Thompson | PR & Social Media Manager | Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont | Office: 704 – 332 – 0262 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook: GoodwillSP | Twitter: @GoodwillSP | Instagram: @GoodwillSP